Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Capernaum, The Town of Jesus

Capernaum, is a village frequently mentioned in the Gospels  and is located on the north shore of the Sea of Galilee.  People resided there from the 1st century BC to the 13th century AD. It was a fishing village and also supposedly the home of Peter, Andrew (his first converts, Mark 1:21, 29), James, and John.  During this time, it was a Jewish village.  This town was a frequent place for Jesus's ministry.  I thought this was especially exciting to visit because of my familiarity with this town.  It is mentioned throughout the Gospels, which makes it an important site for one's pilgrimage. He preached after his temptation in the wilderness (Matthew 1:12-17), calmed the storm on the Sea of Galilee (Matthew 11:23-24), and healed a centurion's servant (Matthew 8:5-13).  The authenticity of the house of Peter, where Jesus stayed is very likely.  I thought the church built above it made it hard to visulize because of its modern architecture. The synagogue, from the Byzantine-era, is where Jesus was accosted by a demoniac while teaching there.  Capernaum was referred to Jesus's own city in Matthew chapter 9:1 and Mark chapter 2:1. 

In Capernaum, Jesus drives out an impure spirit. 
"21 They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. 22 The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law.23 Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an impure spirit cried out, 24 “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”25 “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!” 26 The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.27 The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to impure spirits and they obey him.” Mark 1:21-28

Jesus also preached the sermon on the bread of life at the Synagogue.
35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life.Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the willof him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”  John 6:35-40


Background on Christianity 
Christianity is a monotheistic religion and was founded in the 1st century by the followers of Jesus Christ.  His followers believed Jesus Christ was the chosen one and Son of God who came to save us sinners by dying on the cross.  During his ministry, Jesus taught and healed those who followed him.  His teachings confronted the Jewish authorities and their fundamental beliefs, which caused both an uproar and a trickle of followers.  Eventually, Jesus was attracting crowds of people to hear what He had to say.  The canonical gospels in the Bible's New Testament consist of Jesus's life and teachings. 





I got my information from these two sites, as well as my NIV Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment